For Crying Out Loud Dammit

"I Rant, Therfore I Am." A glimpse at life's small annoyances that really bug the daylights out of me. (Maybe you too)?

Thursday, February 22

It's Just Lacking

You know what I miss? I miss the ability to just give someone a big ol' slam the phone down hang up! Remember when phones had a receiver attached to the phones main body by a spiral cord? Rotary or push button, it didn't matter. The real appeal was if the person you were talking to annoyed you, you could just hang up on 'em. Yup, just SLAM that receiver right down. BAM!! Oh, and they knew they just got hung up on. There was no mistaking it. People around you knew it too...

With technology today, that distinct crash of the handset on receiver is a thing of the past. A dinosaur. A thing never to be experienced (as giver or recipient) by future generations. Like the 45 LP, it's a thing this generation hasn't a clue.

Just another reason I hate cell phones. Have you ever been frustrated & angry and try to "hang up" on someone with a cell phone? Kind of goes like this: "Oh YEAH?! Well I'm tired of YOU calling and I'm SICK of blah, blah, blah! I don't EVER want to SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN...."

Beep.

That's it. Non climactic. No slam. No crash of heavy plastic on plastic. No reverberating sound waves echoing through the house to broadcast to all that you are angry, annoyed, etc. and the person on the other end is lucky they weren't within arms reach. No, now it's just a brief pause in the boisterous volume of ones shouts to find the "end call" button, a press with the finger and beep. Eh, how boring. Or maybe you just "flip" the phone closed. Yeah, like that's a slam. NOT! The person you were screaming at can't distinguish between your vicious cell phone slam and a dropped call. They're on the other end going: "Hello. Hello. Are you still there?" In the good ol' days, there was no mistakin' a serious slam-the-phone-down hang up. Technology seriously lacks in some very important areas!

3 Comments:

At February 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Logophile said...

That is why I always tell you when I do that.
"I'm hanging up on you now!!"
Beep

 
At February 22, 2007 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I had to login in to blogger to comment over here. DAMMIT!! I hate that!

::SLAM::

 
At February 23, 2007 at 4:36 AM , Blogger lime said...

well i never!

*CRASH*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home