For Crying Out Loud Dammit

"I Rant, Therfore I Am." A glimpse at life's small annoyances that really bug the daylights out of me. (Maybe you too)?

Saturday, March 3

Missing the Point...!

Let's move onto Uncommon Common #2: Common Courtesy. Again, like common sense, common courtesy is NOT! This topic covers almost all areas of life from driving to interpersonal communication and so on. How about this one: I'm driving in a 50mph zone at approx. 55mph. (Yes, I like to drive fast & reckless with a total abandon for the posted speed limit). Up ahead a road merges with mine. At the intersection, the merging traffic has a stop sign. Additionally, there is a car in front of me traveling at the approx. same speed and no traffic behind me. I am following the recommended two second rule. At the intersection rolls a Lexus SUV up to the stop sign. He inches forward. Immediately I get the sense this guy just might try to gun it and pull out in front of me. I flash my lights to say, "Don't do it." But what does he do...hesitates momentarily then darts out right between my car and the one I was following. I threshold brake, downshift and steer right just in case. Simultaneously, I flash him with my lights again. (Don't ya hate when people do that)?! But it gets better. We travel 1/4 mile up the road where he turns into the grocery store parking lot. WTF?! He couldn't have waited three seconds for me to clear the intersection back yonder? Remember, there was no one behind me. Oh, but it doesn't end here. Nay, nay. As he makes his right turn, I pass him on the left. I look over and he flips me off. OH HECK NO! He did not just do that? Yes he did. The guy cuts me off and then flips me off. How rude.

Then, there are my inconsiderate children. They must think I'm their butler. Why is it they can empty a box of cookies or something but can't throw the box away? I've found empty milk cartons in the fridge; just found a extra large box that once contained Snack Pack pudding cups in it but is now empty in the cupboard. How long has that been like that? Oh well, that's just kids I guess.

What about all that other inconsiderate stuff out there...failure to use turn signals, not covering mouth while sneezing or coughing, and the list goes on.



See, common courtesy is NOT common.

5 Comments:

At March 3, 2007 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

Okay, just let me say up front that I'm in dutch with the wife. Not MY wife. I don't have one of them models. You are SO preaching to the choir here, Rusty Nail Man. I ab-WHORE driving because I ab-WHORE other drivers. If drivers were compelled to go through a biennial drive review like pilots, there'd be no more drivers. Or very few, anyway. They give a license to anyone, as you well know, and 99% of them are idiots. I call it the "nobody else matters" syndrome. They pull off the highway, into the parking lot and before clearing the concrete entrance, they stop to look for a parking space. They are the only one that matters. You are hanging out there with your ass in traffic, but you don't matter. Nope. Not at all. Only they matter. They sit at the red light to turn right, but don't go. They see the left turn only people turning left onto the road you are trying to leave, but they don't go. There is NO WAY a car can come and hit them. But they don't go. They drive 47 in a 55 and won't pull over. All I ask is that they PTFO! They have a string of cars behind them, but they won't PTFO. I used to pull those folks over with relish. Did you know what the speed limit is h'yuh? Yes. What is it? It's 55. And how fast were you going? I don't know. Uh-huh. Did you see that string of 8 cars behind you? Yes. So, why didn't you just pull over and let them by? Well, I just figgered they would pass me at the next passing lane. Uh-huh. Do you know how many passing lanes we have here in this county? No. Well, not very many. But we do have wide turnouts that you are required by law to use should there be even ONE vehicle behind you when you are going anything less than the posted speed limit. Here's how it works: Oregon law states that you have the right to drive any speed you wish. But you don't have the right to make ME drive any speed you wish. Oh, well I didn't know that.

HERE'S YOUR SIGN. There are five options on the back. You can plead guilty and send in your check or, if you wish you can choose to appear.

ACK HOES!

Preach on, Bruthuh!

 
At March 3, 2007 at 3:43 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

p.s. This is very abbreviated. But suffice it to say that it is one of the reason I try to fly anyplace I can. Straight line. No fuzz. No stupid idots. FAST.

People always ask me why I left the road. You now have the answer. I didn't want to get fired.

 
At March 3, 2007 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

Back just one more time (yeah, Egan, I know...), but I just had to say that confronting a dude goes just a tad bit beyond what I would feel comfortable with. You alluded to the wife having to come bail you out. In Oregon the "Disturbing The Peace" statute is called Disorderly Conduct. I know they call it that in other states, too. But just the posturing alone could get a guy hooked up here. If any behaviors cause "alarm," i.e., making heads turn, that's all they need to meet the criteria for the statute. I know you know this stuff, Rusty. I'm just looking out for you. That did make me nervous. Be care-filled about that one.

Yer Bro-In-Arms,
G

 
At March 3, 2007 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Logophile said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 3, 2007 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

(....uh-oh.....she sounds pissed, rusty....i'm layin' low til the smoke blows over.....psssst.......down here......over here, rusty.......under the keyboard.....)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home