For Crying Out Loud Dammit

"I Rant, Therfore I Am." A glimpse at life's small annoyances that really bug the daylights out of me. (Maybe you too)?

Thursday, March 29

Email...It's a Like / Hate Thing

Wow, twenty days since a posting. Hmm. I'm not much of a blogger. I guess I'm really only a "poser blogger." I can live with that.

O.K., I've never been a real fan of technology; at least the kind that is less utilitarian and more for sheer convenience. Recently, I purchased a cell phone and then only reluctantly. I find them annoying and the people who use them incessantly even more annoying. You know the ones. The inattentive driver who, on a good day without distraction and clear weather still manages to be an a**hole of the roadways, now becomes a monumental hazard while trying to juggle their cell phone conversation, cup of coffee and smoke at the same time.
Then there's the woman who is supposed to be enjoying a dinner out with her mom who she hasn't seen for months. The restaurant is busy. Customers chat over sumptuous fare and wine. Then...Ms. Inconsiderate's cell phone rings, LOUDLY and with an obnoxious tune. She answers but not quickly. All patrons around her are alerted. She's flippant and shows no expression of what a nuisance she is. She ignores her mother and unwittingly (and without concern for others) invites all patrons in the restaurant into her conversation. It goes something like this: "No. That's not right. Billy has Soccer and Jamie gets dropped off first. Yes. His cleats are in the closet...I think. I don't know. There are hot dogs in fridge. Have those." This but an excerpt.
In instances like this, I just want to stand up and scream: "SHUT UP you inconsiderate wench! No one here wants to hear about your pathetic life of hot dog dinners and soccer schedules. Take your F**ing converstation outside!"

Then there's email. I like it. But it breeds laziness and isolation. Case in point: My "neighbor" at work. Yeah, he's just on the other side of the cube wall from me. I hear his telephone conversations. He probably hears mine. We go to lunch occassionally and out for a coffee too. Currently, we're working a project together. He wants to discuss a small point of our project. Does he stand up and say; "Hey man, can I run this by you?" No. Of course not. Instead he sends me an email inviting me to a meeting. Dang people around here like to meet. The culture here is to meet about meetings. "Email me to set up a meeting." Anyway, he knows I'm here. He can hear me breathing and snacking and whatever else. For crying out loud, dammit,
just talk to me man! No. Can't be done. Instead we have to play email tag. He sends one. I reply. He replies to my reply. I reply to his.
But alas, ultimately, I refused his invite to have a meeting...via email.

7 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Logophile said...

I would like to invite you via your blog to begin a discourse in email regarding the possibility of getting together for a planning session to see when we might be able to schedule some time for physical congress, as schedules allow.
Thank you.
With kindest regards,
Logo™

 
At March 30, 2007 at 9:18 AM , Blogger lime said...

now see if i were in the cell...er...cubicle next to yours i'd be tossing a paper airplane with my question over the side and into your lap, i'd hope you'd sscribble your answer or else ball it up and toss it back. there is an obvious reason why i am not in the corporate world.

 
At March 30, 2007 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Rusty Nails said...

Logo - have your peeps contact my peeps and we'll set something up.

Lime - I'd much prefer the paper airplane to the outlook electronic appt. Or, a volleyball message board. We could write our comments on the ball and hit it back & forth over the cube wall. SPIKE!

 
At March 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

LOL @ Lime -- a friend and I used to do that at work all the time!!

I hardly ever actually talk on my cell phone, I text.

Which, I might add, is really cumbersome when driving. :-P

 
At April 1, 2007 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

Was in a nice restaurant with a new friend whose phone went off. There was a third person, also a new friend. Friend one let her phone ring. And ring. And ring. I never got with friend 2 to debrief, but for ringing out loud! How could you not get the social inappropriateness of that? Sheesh!

 
At April 2, 2007 at 9:49 AM , Blogger DaMasta said...

I love email and texting for the exact reason that you depise them... they keep me from having unneccessary chit chat about how they're doing, how they're mom's doing, how they think their coworker is a bleeotch, or other some such nonsense. I can clearly get my point across without all the unpleasantries :)

 
At April 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Angel said...

let's see.... I have a cell phone but rarely answer it cuz I HATE talking on the phone. And yes, I would rather send an e-mail for communication...but I rarely answer those either!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home