For Crying Out Loud Dammit

"I Rant, Therfore I Am." A glimpse at life's small annoyances that really bug the daylights out of me. (Maybe you too)?

Wednesday, May 2

Iron Chef Sunday School

I enjoy cooking. My significant other & my Things praise my culinary ability and friends seem to enjoy visiting more when they know I'll be feeding them. I also possess a splinter of competitiveness.

When we started attending our chucrh after returning to the States, there was a Marriage Ministry sunday school class that we became involved. There were snacks available & coffee. Early AM get-me-goings. The usual was unimaginative: store bought pastries, cookies, sliced fruit, etc. Sometimes someone would bring a fresh baked, still warm coffee cake but nothing spectacular. So, when the snack sign-up went 'round, I figured I'd contribute. I could do better than cookies. First, there was a breakfast casserole with plenty of egg and cheese and bread and sausage. It went quick. I almost didn't have to wash the casserole it got cleaned up so well. Next, was Quesadilla Grande with cheese, bacon, green onion on top and sour cream on the side. Again, no leftovers.

Then, it happened. One Sunday, on a day that it wasn't my turn to provide snack, a crock pot of homemade sausage gravy and bisquits was made available. I heard murmurings of praise for this b'fast delight. Oh, and it was tasty too. Could it be? Did I have competition? Secretly, in my heart, I determined this to be a challenge. The challenger would be sorry he crossed spatulas with me.

My next contribution was a breakfast pizza. Scrambled egg with spinach and plenty of parmesan cheese cooked in and spread over a golden brown crust. Then topped with shredded cheddar (sheredded by my hand and not bought that way) and diced sundried tomatoes. The coup de Grace...crumbled feta. Oh happy day. It was spectacular in appearance and taste. Taken to the gathering on a hot stone...it was still piping hot when served. Yeah, baby!

The cat was soon loosed and my competition discovered I viewed him as competition (he had contributed B'fast Burritos and French Toast sticks with syrup...all homemade). He recognizes me the same. WE are the only competition. The rest of the snack providers are weak, puny and lazy opting rather to "buy" their contributions instead of putting some of themselves into it. Sluggards! Slackers! Pathetic! (Do I sound snooty?)

Well, May 6th will be our next duel. He approached me last Sunday and said, "So the challenge is on. What are you bringing next week?" Oh so bold but so foolish. I told him I would probably go with the B'fast Pizza standby favorite. But now that I type this, I'm reconsidering. How far is he willing to take this? Oh, it's on alright. But, sadly, he will soon discover he is no match for the culinary force that resides in me. I will crush him! Mwahhh, haaaa, haaaa!

4 Comments:

At May 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM , Blogger Angel said...

ok, so send me directions to your church, cuz all that stuff sounds AMAZING!!!!! I need some breakfast right now and a pop tart just aint gonna cut it no more.

 
At May 3, 2007 at 7:02 AM , Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OK, I am so hungry right now. Thanks.

 
At May 3, 2007 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I'll be at your house for dinner. Tee hee!!

I say you bring two fantasmastic dishes - blow him right out of the water.

 
At May 3, 2007 at 10:41 AM , Blogger lime said...

i am so glad to know that sunday morning worship is approached with such a humbly reverent attitude by you. i am so very edified.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home