For Crying Out Loud Dammit

"I Rant, Therfore I Am." A glimpse at life's small annoyances that really bug the daylights out of me. (Maybe you too)?

Tuesday, May 22

Man Trip Successful


Well, I arrived home late Sunday night (9pm) sopping wet and chilled to the bone. You may thing that's awful? Eh, a little but even despite having to peel my clothes off it didn't negate an overall AWESOME weekend.

Since Beth posed the question; I am the John Travolta on this journey as I am the one who hatched the plan and drug the others along...one having not ridden in 7 years and NEVER in the rain (oh, he was in for an education).

Left work early Friday about 1:30. Brian & I met up with Tim east of Seattle. We were looking to maximize time so we took I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass. My Sporty needed fuel so we stopped at the resort at top of the mountain. Out of unleaded only supreme. Well, supreme it is then! Onward then with the next fuel stop 120 miles away at Moses Lake. Two gas stations out of gas. What the heck!?! (Do they not understand that for a gas station to make money they must have gas to sell)? Sporty was on fumes. Would we need the spare canteen of fuel? Luckily, no. Five miles further was a large truck stop with services. Put 3.5 gallons in that 3.3 gallon tank!

Next, hit a town called State Line. Guess where it was? At the state line of WA & ID. Fueled the bikes and now needed fuel for the body. Road signs on hwy listed a place called "Cruisers" with a motorcycle silouette. Sounded good. We wouldn't find out. Parking lot was filled with Harley's and real bikers and their biker women. The place was a corrugated metal building with a "drive thru" at the end. Apparently, you drive your bike into and through the establishment and get your spirits to go. I assume then the biker bimbo ridin' bitch feeds the rugged biker his brew through a tube as they ride on down the highway. But, so as to avoid the scene from Wild Hogs (I had visions of that running through my mind) we passed and ended up at the Outback instead. I know, I'm a fraidy cat. But I'm a live fraidy cat :)

Arrived St. Regis at 11pm and stayed at Super 8. Brian's nerves fried as I was careening around mountain pass curves at 65 in the pitch black; the only illumination was from our headlights. I had an advantage of following a big rig and was merely keeping up with him. Did I mention having to navigate through the obtacle of construction and those tall orange pylons as well? Brian is still probably cursing me. But it's an experience he'll remember! :)

Saturday started early. I was a bit tired; slept restlessly. I'm a light sleeper and the smallest of noises wakes me in my own home. Now I'm in a strange place with two persons I don't normally share a room with. My body is really alert. I kept waking up 'cuz there was alot of farting going on. Brrrrpppp! "Huh, what was that? Oh, Tim farted." Then someone talked, no, hollered in their sleep. Don't ask as I can't remember what was said. Tim & I headed out. Brian went back to sleep. He would meet us in Kalispell that evening.

Tim & I made a "man" rule: 100 miles 'til b'fast. We went over that. Not alot of opportunities along those long, solitary roads in Montana. Finally, came to a town of Ovando. Consisted of 5 bldgs: post office, gas station/general store, cafe, museum (what?!) and a fishing tackle shop. A few homes were adjacent. Population maybe 100. The Stray Bullet cafe' was great though. I had the "Outlaw:" two eggs, toast, hashbrowns, sausage with plenty of coffee so as to warm up. I asked our waitress who was of high school age how far she traveled to school. An hour. How 'bout groceries I asked. 1.5 hours back to the larges town...Missoula. (Someday, I will live in Montana)

Reached the coveted Tiber Dam around 2 or 3 only after traveling 30 miles of deep gravel road (listed as a highway on the Montana map) that was infested with prairie dogs with suicidal ideations. Little f'ers just kept running out in front of us. Do you know how hard it is to keep a m'cycle upright in gravel without small mammals running in front of you? It ain't easy. Then there was the pronghorn antelope that decided to race alongside and then abruptly in front of Tim. I was riding the six o'clock and got to witness the "race." It was cool.

Skipping ahead as too much fun was had to include in only one post. Suday left Kalispell early. Very chilly. Headed west toward home. Picked up a second dam along the way. Extra bonus. Made good time across Idaho and 1/2 of way averaging 80 mph. Then came the 10 miles outside Snoqualmie Pass. Traffic increased, speed decreased. We started up the pass and the rain began to fall...in buckets. Oh extreme suckage. It continued from then until home...over 100+ miles. And the temp was 39 at the pass.

***CAUTION***CAUTION*** Read No Further (Unless interested in TMI Tuesday type info)

Here's the problem with rain like we encountered...it was so much that even my waterproof stuff soon became less than waterproof. Normally, I don't mind riding in the rain. I feel cozy. My waterproof pants, jacket, gloves and boots topped with helmet on head make me feel as though I'm in a cocoon isolated from the outside. I kind of like the pitter patter sound of drops falling on my helmet. This day though, my cocoon was permeated. It gave up it's watertight integrity and the water soon flowed inside.

So, I don't normally go "commando." But for some reason I decided to today. Well, mosty because I didn't want to wear my boxer briefs for the ride as they creep up my butt. Anyway, commando was working just fine until the rain began to filter in. First it was just a little seep throgh the seat of my breeches as the rain puddled in on my m'cycle seat. Soon, though, the seep turned into a river. I could feel the stream flowing. The headwaters began at buttcrack valley and continued on down through sphincter stream. The river forked at left & right cheek creek. From there it flowed around scrotum delta eventually making its way, as a trickle, down thigh canyon.

Not a pleasant feeling. The good news (huh,?) is that once I was thoroughly soaked I couldn't tell anymore. That and the fact I was numb from the cold.

We rolled in at 9pm. Wifey had hot tea for Brian & I. (Tim diverted and continued East to Seattle while we had to travel another 55 miles north).

All credit to Brian. He is hardcore! 1500+ miles on his first m'cycle trip in over 7 years with two crazies and horrible weather. He loved it! (That's why he left work early yesterday due to not feeling well).

So, when are we going again? SOON I HOPE!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

At May 22, 2007 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Angel said...

okay, John, are you crazy?!!! riding in the rain? Not for me, no sir ree. But I'm glad you had a good time...crazy and all.

 
At May 23, 2007 at 4:02 AM , Blogger lime said...

hahahaha, so did you all throw your cellphones?

and erm....the fast speeds during night driving on a twisty road.....do i have to get all safety nazi on you?

LMAO @ the description of the very personal waterlogging.....but yeah, riding commando is the way to go ;)

 
At May 23, 2007 at 4:03 AM , Blogger lime said...

oh, and since you asked....i do have a razor AND i use it regularly.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Logophile said...

Wifey?
You referred to me as Wifey??
Because I'm glad you made it back in one piece I will let that slide this time.
Just, ya know,
watch it!

 
At May 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM , Blogger DaMasta said...

wow! sounds like a brilliant ride :D glad you had fun.. gotta catch up on other stuff. cya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home